Jim Lane is a gent I have gotten to know, and really hit the nail on the head in a recent post in his blog:
The short story is that for the graduate or soon to be graduate to achieve their goals:
- Begin with the end in mind. What do you want to do? Be? Achieve?
- Create the vision of the type of person that can acheive these goals
- Update your resume’ / CV with all the talents and experience you bring
- Identify gaps between your talents and skills, and the talents and skills of the person who can achieve the goals you set out to achieve
- Develop a plan to close these gaps and execute
Sounds easy, right?
Not so much. One of the most difficult things to do is to discipline yourself to do what is really needed to be done to accomplish what we say we want to accomplish. Instead, our tendency is to compromise our goals and vision a little at a time in exchange for short term satisfaction. Then, after twenty years of compromises, we realize we are far away from where we intended to be.
This doesn’t only apply to graduates, but to people in all walks of life. No matter where you are, decide where you want to be and apply the framework above.
It is truly remarkable what we can accomplish when we set our minds and energies to it.